Monday, November 24, 2008

Better Late Than Never!!

After weeks of promising to post a website where people can stay updated on Baby Campbell I finally found a little time to start one.

I'll give a quick recap of what our lives have been like these past couple of months. I promise to include plenty of pictures.

The pregnancy

Except for the last two weeks my pregnancy was pretty uneventful. I began having strong, regular contractions at about two and a half weeks from my due date. They were time able, but not strong enough to push me into full blown labor.

After several disappointing trips to the doctor and one trip to labor and delivery when I was sure it was time, my doctor agreed to induce me on October 10th.

This picture was taken at 31 weeks

The Birth Story

We checked into the hospital around 10 am on Friday, October 10th. The labor and delivery department was full so we waited about an hour before they started the pitocin (the labor inducing drug). I spent most of the day pretty comfortable. My mom and sister arrived that afternoon and were able to give Jon a little break.

We were very fortunate that our good friend Allie who happens to be a labor and delivery nurse in the same hospital was able to be with us throughout the entire process.


It was so nice to have Allie there to explain things and keep us company, especially because we skipped the birthing class. At one point the baby didn't agree with the position I was in and her heartbeat dropped. In one swift motion Allie was out of her chair and had flipped me over. Jon and I still didn't realize what was going on when the nurses came in. She even went from labor coach to photographer. Our experience would not have been the same without Allie there, and I know we would not have any pictures as neither one of us was thinking about taking pictures.

My doctor came in around 4 and hinted that this may not be the day. I still could not imagine that I would go another day without having this baby. In my mind they give you the medicine and you have a baby, I did not realize it was such a process. At 9 the doctor called my room and we decided to continue the pitocin until midnight. When the nurse came in at 11:30 I agreed that this was not the night and begged for food since I had not eaten all day.

After a sleepless night of listening to everyone in the hospital have a baby except me we started the process again.

My doctor came in around 8 and announced that this was the day (I knew I loved this man). He broke my water which really caused things to get moving. Almost instantly my contractions went from mildly uncomfortable to extremely painful. Around 1, after snapping at Jon once, and crawling on the floor I decided it was time for the epidural. I quickly returned to my normal, happy self.

By 5 it was time to start pushing. I am sure that Campbell was waiting on a couple of things before making her big debut; a name, (we worked on this all day), and her great grandparents to arrive. With the Oregon State football game in the background distracting both me and the doctor, Campbell was born at 7:26 pm on October 11th.

After some bonding time Jon quickly went to the waiting room that was full of anxious grandparents and great grand parents.


.

No comments: